I was just thinking about this morning since it is nearly impossible to read the paper or online blogs or watch the news and not hear something about the shape of the economy (though I am not sure our economy is that bad when compared to say…The Sudan!). How can Christians not get sucked into a worldly, save-all-you-can-give-as-little-as-possible, mindset?
Here are a few thoughts, not rules to be sure:
1. Acknowledge God’s ownership of everything (Psalm 24:1).
All you have is God’s. You don’t own anything! It is important that you understand this. It will relieve the burden of trying to control your financial world. Just because you tithe 10% does not mean the other 90% is yours.
2. Submit to whatever God wants to do with your money
Philippians 4:10-13 is perhaps the most misused text ever. What Paul is talking about here is financial situations in which he found himself. His conclusion was that he could do all things through Christ, whether he be in poverty or in prosperity. We rarely pray for Christ’s strength during prosperity, but we need it. We must submit to whatever God wants to do with the money he gives which includes what we should give and keep and even make. This will require much prayer.
3. Make what you have available to others
Allow people to borrow your resources, pay for someone’s lunch, let someone use your sporting equipment, remember its not yours!
4. Know that the reason God gives money is to provide for you and to bless others
Ephesians 4:28 Paul said the reason someone should work and stop stealing is so they could give to others.
5. Be content with what you have
Your level of income really has nothing to do with your level of needs. Just because you make more does not mean you have to live on more. It might just mean you give more. So be content with your stuff and your income. Just because your cell phone will not launch missiles or start your car, does not mean you need to buy the one that does!
6. Earn as much as you can, save as much as you can, give as much as you can
7. Refuse to give in to worry and anxiety (Matthew 6:25-34)
This does nothing for you! Allow yourself to be drawn out to the bigness of God and the fact that He will provide you with all you need to accomplish His purposes for you on this earth.
8. Enjoy what you have (1Timothy 6:10, 17-19)
Rejoice in God’s provision and goodness and refuse to make an idol out of money or golf clubs or clothes of cars or houses.
9. Remember, you will die.
Dont waste your life trying to gain more stuff, exhaust yourself in doing good and living for the glory of God in Christ. Only in doing this will you make much of Him. He is not glorified by how well you dress or how nice your car is or how many square feet your house is.